Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Rocking and rolling - mostly rocking

I wasn't going to write this post so early on but after last night's unpleasantness, it seems very appropriate.

I got this rocking horse for the bargain price of $5 while I was pregnant with Lucy.  He was more than a little worse for wear and spent a long time in the shed while I concentrated on getting from A to B without tripping over my own feet or my gigantic belly.

It wasn't until after she was born that I had the energy to get stuck into sanding, painting and reassembling the horse.  Snatching an hour or so whenever I could to work on it, it was a much longer process than I expected but the end result is so worth it.  He's still got a bit of a lean on but is already proving a hit with Lucy's cousin (the very cute Poppet over at Miss Molly Coddle).  I can't wait to see our own little monkey rocking away.

In keeping with the rocky theme, I made this rocky road fudge slice yesterday morning (about 12 hours before the earthquake - spooky!).  I usually make the uncooked slice with the cheapest wine biscuits available (Home Brand, Budget or Pams) and throw in a 70g packet of walnut pieces and a good handful of raisins or sultanas.  But lately I've had a hankering for marshmallows so I thought I'd change it up a bit this week.  It's a wonder I'm shifting any of this baby weight...  Anyway, here's the recipe.

ROCKY ROAD FUDGE SLICE

Ingredients
250g wine biscuits
3/4 C each of roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped glace cherries and mini marshmallows
2 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 C milk
90g butter
1/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence



Method
Crush the biscuits and put in a bowl with the peanuts, cherries and marshmallows.
Mix milk and cocoa together in a cup.
Melt butter and sugar in a pot and slowly add the milk/cocoa mixture.  Stir until combined.
Heat until boiling then add vanilla essence.
Pour hot mixture into the bowl and mix thoroughly.  Do this as quickly as possible so the marshmallows don't melt.
Press into a greased shallow tin about 20x30cm.  Cool in the fridge for an hour then ice with chocolate icing.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment